Putting all my eggs in one Wednesday basket   Leave a comment

I had planned to do a treadmill session on Monday in lieu of track which I thought would be called off due to ice (it was). However the forecast was extremely strong winds and freezing temperatures and heavy rain so I was ordered not to cycle in such treacherous conditions and being the obedient sort I didn’t.

On Tuesday I was going to either do a long run or go to Core & Stretch but the freezing temperatures and damp ground made me fear everything would be too icy so I did nothing again.

By Wednesday the weather was more amenable so I cycled to the gym to do the postponed Monday treadmill interval session. 6 x 1k in 3.45 (16kmph/18.45 5k pace/6.02mm). 2 minutes recovery walk. I thought this should be ok as I can do 13.5 minutes solidly at 16kmph so not even 4 minutes should be easy right? Not right. I had the post it note on the display as usual and had set my watch to buzz at the start/end of the reps so every time it beeped I pressed the button to change the pace to/from walk to run pace. From the start I found it harder than I’d hoped. Maybe because I’d done absolutely nothing for 3 days. Anyway I had been informed I MUSTN’T FAIL. So I didn’t. I was utterly knackered when I got home and wasn’t sure I’d be able to muster the energy to go to work but obviously I did. I then went back in the evening and did weights back on full heaviness. Three days of nothing followed by two of the hardest things I’ve done. Hmmmmmmm.

Which leads me on to Thursday. Oh. My. God. Soooooooooo utterly ruined and dead and devoid of anything pertaining to life. I still tried to do a long run because I am 100% an idiot. Managed 5.5 miles of almost 10 minute miling.

Absolute Isobellend. I did at least not attempt to do Tom’s mile reps in the evening even though I really wanted to as it would have been a disaster.

I finally dredged up some sort of sense and did nothing on Friday except eat and try and regain some sort of strength and semblance of normality.

On Saturday it was the Arena superseries Age Grading parkrun in Hove Park. It was so icy I didn’t even attempt to run it. I just went there for the social aspect and the team photo (though who knows why as I hate photos).

Thanks Danny for the photo

I discovered that my right hamstring had become destroyed at some point (probably on the Wednesday of death) so a mini-stride shuffle was all I could manage anyway.

Today (Sunday) I wanted to do a long run but my blasted hamstring wasn’t very happy. I hoped it might loosen of over the course of the run but it got progressively tighter so I got progressively slower ending up just under 10 minute miling. Just over 10 miles in total. The moral of this story is don’t try and do all the hardest things ever on the same day.

Let’s hope I can be sensible and allow my hamstring to heal. Ha!


Posted 17/12/2017 by Isobel Muir in Running

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: